Getting married in China

User avatar
Site Edit
Posts: 559
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:33 am
Country: Beijing

Getting married in China

Postby inbeijing » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:39 pm

Do you dream of getting married in China? Find useful information on procedures to follow in this article.

China has become one of the world's most popular destinations for marriage. You can also get married in China, whether with a foreigner, or if you have found your soul mate in the country. Procedures however are similar. Indeed, you have to fill in some formalities to be eligible for marriage in China. These can vary according to your nationality. Check with your embassy before proceeding.


The "quest for visas" is very common in China. Expatriates often look for a Chinese partner with a Chinese passport. Marrying a Chinese thereby allows you to obtain a residence visa.

Good to know:

Gay marriage is not allowed in China. Moreover, the legal age to marry is 20 years for women and 22 years for men.

Procedures for getting married in China can be lengthy and expensive. But you will overcome them with some patience. First of all, you must obtain a certificate of marriage ability, and a marriage certificate. The request for the certificate of marriage ability must be made by your country's embassy in China. However, one of the spouses has to be a resident of the country for the marriage to be authorized.

Documents required for the application for a certificate of marriage ability are:

two duly completed and signed application forms
a form of common information to both spouses
a form of information relating to each spouse
a photocopy of each page of the foreign spouses' passport
a complete copy of each spouse's birth certificate
proof of nationality
proof of residence (bills, lease documents...)
proof of divorce or widowhood in case of a previous marriage.
Once these formalities have been accomplished, your embassy will proceed with the publication of bans at the municipality which is nearest to your residence in China and the nearest to your place of residence in your home country for 10 days. In case of no objection, you will receive a certificate of marriage ability. You can then celebrate your marriage at your Embassy or before the Chinese authorities.

Celebrating your marriage
To set your wedding date and time, contact your region's Civil Status Registrar, producing your certificate of marriage ability and your identification documents. Thereafter, you will obtain a marriage certificate which you will have to transcribe in your home country's language.

Useful links:

Beijing Government
US Embassy in China
Mariage ability certificate

Be happy no matter what....

Return to “New to China”