WeChat Favorites – Free 1G Of Cloud Storage: WeChat Essential Tips

General chat. Got a question that's baffling you?
erynwalker
Beijing New Citizens

WeChat Favorites – Free 1G Of Cloud Storage: WeChat Essential Tips

Postby erynwalker » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:23 am

Dropbox currently gives us 2GB of free cloud storage space, very useful right? Store all your important pictures, files, videos in the cloud and access them later from any device. What a convenient service! But wait, did you know you already have this on your WeChat? Yes, that’s right, every WeChat account has 1GB of free cloud storage as standard when registering the account, it’s called ‘WeChat Favorites’. Anything placed in favorites will be uploaded and stored in the cloud. It’s then accessible from any mobile device from which you subsequently log in on using your WeChat account.

In today’s WeChat Essential tip you are going to learn everything you need to know about it and other related ways to store notes and files on WeChat. We’ll cover:

Favoriting from your Moments or a Message Thread
Upload Notes and Files through the WeChat Favorites Page
WeChat Favorites Tagging
2 Clever Hacks Using WeChat Favorites
Alternatives to Using WeChat Favorites: File Moving Assistant & WeChat Evernote / OneNote

If you already use Favorites then we suggest skipping straight to ‘WeChat Favorites Tagging’ or the hacks sections. If you’re new to Favorites start from the top.

Part 1: Favoriting from your Moments or a Message Thread
Start with a Message or Group thread from which you want to save something to your favorites. Hmm… this picture looks nice
WeChat-Favorites-1[1].png

Long-press the picture and choose Favorite
WeChat-Favorites-2[1].png

An Added icon will pop up to verify that you’ve saved this item to your favorites
WeChat-Favorites-3[1].png

Part 2: Upload Notes and Files through the WeChat Favorites Page
Go to Me and select Favorites
WeChat-Favorites-5[1].png

The content will be sorted by date, newest first
WeChat-Favorites-6[1].png

Tap + in the top right corner
WeChat-Favorites-7[1].png

Tap any one of the five icons to add stuff to your favorites. They will save directly to the cloud and can be seen at the top of the list when done. Audio basically acts as a dictaphone through which you can store all your crazy ideas before you forget them. Location is a great way to keep a record of the address of the cool bar you’re currently in to show a taxi driver next time. And there is an extra option on Android which is even more useful, but we’ll come to that in a bit.

erynwalker
Beijing New Citizens

Re: WeChat Favorites – Free 1G Of Cloud Storage: WeChat Essential Tips

Postby erynwalker » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:26 am

WeChat Favorites Added Features: Tagging
Once the file is uploaded to your favorites. Long pressing on the file will reveal a set of options
Options[1].jpg

Delete and Forward should be pretty obvious but let’s look at Edit Tags in a little more detail. Clicking on this option brings up this screen:
WeChat-Favorites-11[1].png

From which you can add as many Tags to the file as you want. It will provide you with a suggested Tag, which is usually the name of the file’s source. Adding Tags to the files as you upload them will make them easier to search for later on. Search through your favorites by tapping on the search bar:
WeChat-Favorites-8[1].png

This screen will come up:
WeChat-Favorites-13[1].png

From which you can search your favorites by file type (e.g. audio), by Tag or by typing in a search term. If you are new to using Favorites, then there’s probably not much need for tagging files yet. Those of us who like to store lots of our interesting articles and important messages, tagging can really be a major time saver.

2 Clever Hacks Using WeChat Favorites
1. On Android devices there is an extra option when uploading files to Favorites: Files This can be used to potentially upload any file from your mobile device or memory card to the cloud or to other people through WeChat.
Untitled-1[1].png

This solves a big problem with WeChat, which is best explained using an example. I have an MP3 on my phone that I love and I want to share it to a group on WeChat that I know will love it too. How do I send it? As you can see from the options below, there’s no direct way to send that file as it’s not a picture.
wechat[1].jpg

But, if I first upload the file to my favorites through + then selecting ‘files’, I can then transfer it freely over to groups or contacts using the favorites button. Sorry guys, this option is not available to iOS users however.

2. Situation: you’re using the free version of Dropbox (or another cloud storage service) on your desktop/laptop and run out of space. By using WeChat Favorites together with the WeChat desktop/web page versions, you can easily upload files firstly from your desktop/laptop to your phone through File Moving Assistant (文件传输助手)and then to the cloud for safe storage or easy transfer to others through WeChat favorites.
360%E5%8F%8D%E9%A6%88%E6%84%8F%E8%A7%81%E6%88%AA%E5%9B%BE16460527301936[1].jpg
360%E5%8F%8D%E9%A6%88%E6%84%8F%E8%A7%81%E6%88%AA%E5%9B%BE16460527301936[1].jpg (22.35 KiB) Viewed 476 times

erynwalker
Beijing New Citizens

Re: WeChat Favorites – Free 1G Of Cloud Storage: WeChat Essential Tips

Postby erynwalker » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:27 am

Alternatives to using WeChat Favorites

File Moving Assistant (文件传输助手)

As we also mentioned in the WeChat desktop article, many people like to pin the ‘File Moving Assistant’ 文件传输助手 (see picture above) to the top of their timeline and use it as a notepad or place to store files.

Advantages:

Can be faster to access than favorites as it appears in your timeline at the top
Can be used from the desktop/web versions (favorites currently is inaccessible from the web/desktop versions of WeChat)
Disadvantages:

Files do not back up to the cloud. Move to a new device and they are gone
Search isn’t as advanced, no options to tag
Takes up more space on your phone
WeChat Evernote & WeChat OneNote
Evernote and OneNote the popular note taking and archiving apps both have Chinese WeChat accounts which can also be used as a notepad within WeChat for storing information. Operating the WeChat accounts are both in Chinese however which makes it a difficult option for most foreigners in China. See pictures below for account info:
WeChat-Evernote[1].jpg
Attachments
OneNote-WeChat[1].jpg

Return to “General Discussion”