Address: Qianmen Street, Xuanwu District, Beijing; Subway Line 2 and get off at Qianmen Station
Qianmen Street is a well-known commercial street in Beijing. Located in the axis of Beijing, Qianmen Street goes from Zhengyangmen Embrasured Watchtower in the north and stretches to Tiantan (Temple of Heaven) Road in the south, which connects with Tianqiao South Street. Before the outer city was built in the 29th year of Jiajing (AD 1550) during the Ming Dynasty, Qianmen Street used to be the Royal Road for emperors to go towards the Temple of Heaven and Altar to the God of Agriculture. When the construction work of the outer city was completed, it became the main north-south artery in the outer city, called Qianmen Street by the people. This street was officially called Zhengyangmen Street during the Ming Dynasty, Qing Dynasty and the Republic of China, and was renamed as Qianmen Street in 1965. It is 1660 meters long and 20 meters wide (for carriageways).
With the urban development and building projects during the Ming and Qing dynasties, many bazaars and guild halls converged in Qianmen Street, which gradually made it evolve into a major business district focusing on shopping and entertainment. At the same time, Quanjude Peking Roast Duck-Since 1864, Bianyifang Roast Duck Restaurant, Ruifuxiang Silk-Since 1862, Tongrentang Chinese Medicine-Since 1669 and other brand shops also opened outlets here, and a century-old cultural circle has emerged as a result. In comparison with Wangfujing Pedestrian Street, Qianmen Pedestrian Street gives more prominence to the original flavor of Beijing. Qianmen Pedestrian Street consists of many functional areas such as Beijing's Culture, Domestic and Foreign Cuisines, Brand Shopping, Leisure & Fitness and so on. Nowadays, over 80 of China's Time-honored Brands along the street unfold the far-reaching cultural deposits and characteristics of historic heritages of the Qianmen Area.
Liulichang street is only 750 meters long, is located south of Hepingmen (Peace) Gate within walking distance of the Hepingmen Quanjude Peking Duck Restaurant. It was named Haiwang Village in the Liao and Jin dynasties. In the Yuan and Ming dynasties an official kiln was located here which produced glazed tiles for building imperial palaces. During Emperor Kangxi's and Qianlong's reign in the Qing Dynasty it became a well-know cultural street for selling antiques. Though the kiln was closed up in the Emperor Qianlong's reign, it has continued to be called Liulichang, or glazed tiles factory. It is a spot of historical and cultural interest that shows traditional Chinese culture, especially in terms of painting and calligraphy.
Tips from the government: Be cautious while consuming!
1 post • Page 1 of 1
- W020081212342248087590.jpg (47.78 KiB) Viewed 583 times
- W020081212342017588762.jpg (35.81 KiB) Viewed 583 times
- W020081212342170503018.jpg (26.38 KiB) Viewed 583 times
Be happy no matter what....